Would you believe me if I told you that just one thing such as Playdough could keep your little one busy for a good period of time because of the many different activities it can be used for and all the great benefits to your child's development too? It is a great calming method as well for your little one.
I always use this recipe and have never been disappointed. It also is an inexpensive recipe with ingredients that are probably already in your household, no need to get to the shops. I find this recipe lasts a good 3 weeks and sometimes even longer when kept in an airtight container or packet and is not left out for too long as this is what dries it out. This recipe also makes a good amount of Playdough for up to 6 children. An even greater reason to try out this recipe is that you can add different colours and even some scents to customise your playdough and make it your own.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of salt
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 2 tablespoons of oil (coconut oil works well too)
- food colouring (your choice)
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl (flour, salt, cream of tartar)
- Add the oil to the dry ingredients mix
- In a cup (250 ml) add boiling water and I always found it better to add the food colouring to the boiling water, you can always add more into the mix
- Add the boiling water to the dry ingredients and stir with a whisk
- When it has cooled down enough for you to handle it with your hands, spread some flour on the counter surface and knead out the dough until all lumps are gone and it is smooth and not too stick, remembering that it should not bee too dry either as this will decrease the time that it will last
- When satisfied with the texture, store in an airtight container or packet
- If the child is older and not bound to eat the playdough, I add some glitter to the boiling water to make a sparkly effect
Until next time,