New Years Resolutions and Goals
It's a New Year and new opportunities await us, let's get started!
Setting goals is an essential part of any child's development as it teaches them responsibilities as well as children learning to make commitments and how to follow through with the commitments to reach their goals. Starting this habit at a young age is important and setting New Year's resolutions is an excellent example of setting goals.
When sitting down with your child and setting the goals, remember that the goals need to be realistic for the stage of the child's development and also need to be age-appropriate.
Here is a list of some ideas for New Years Resolutions for a wide range of ages:
- Keeping my room clean
- Maintaining good grades in school
- Eating fruits/vegetables with every meal where I can
- Trying new foods
- Going to bed at a decent time every night
- Drink more water and fewer sugar drinks
- Pay attention to the teacher during class
- Do all of my chores
- I will be kind to my siblings
- When I feel angry or upset, I will walk away and calm down
- Watching less Television
- Eating less sugar and eat more healthy food options
- Playing outside more on Sunny/good weather days
- When I am finished using things/toys, I will put them away
- Brush teeth every morning and night
- Instead of screen time, find a hobby to do on rainy days and during the holidays
- Speaking openly about feelings. A problem shared is a problem halved!
- Hold out against peer pressure and make my own positive choices
- No back chatting to my parents and show respect
- Improving organization skills in everything that I do
- I will ask for help when I need it and I do not need to feel ashamed to seek help
In no time, your child will be on their way to better habits, routines, etc. Using positive reassurance (It's ok to make mistakes, keep going, you doing great) is an incredible and effective way to keep your child motivated even when they make a mistake or lose hope, we all need to be pushed back up again sometimes! Make it fun with a star chart or some fun rewards too!
Download the PDF of 'My Year in Review 2021' for some extra fun to look back on your year in December 2021
Until next time,