Fun Facts about South Africa
Here are some awesome fun facts about South Africa. While reading through some of these and being a South African myself, I found them pretty interesting and found some facts that I didn't even know.
Did you know?
- South Africa is one of the only Country's to have hosted the Soccer, Cricket and Rugby World Cup.
- It is believed that Table Mountain in Cape Town is one of the oldest mountains in the World.
- The drinking water in South Africa has been rated third best in the World for it to be 'safe and ready to drink'.
- Off the coast of South Africa, there are more than 2000 shipwrecks.
- There are three Capital Cities in South Africa; Pretoria, Cape Town and Bloemfontein.
- 'Republic of South Africa' is the official name of South Africa.
- The population of South Africa in 2011 was around 52 million.
- Johannesburg is the largest city in South Africa.
- There are 11 official languages in South Africa.
- In 1967 the first human heart transplant was performed in a Cape Town Hospital.
- The flag of South Africa is the only six-coloured National Flag in the World.
- In Africa, South Africa is the largest producer of meat.
- The only place in the world is South Africa where Mercedes Benz manufactures right-hand drive cars.
- The Rovos Rail is the World's most luxurious train and it is in South Africa.
- The highest bungee jump in the World is in South Africa.
- South Africa has the deepest Gold Mine in the World.
National Symbols of South Africa:
National Flower: King Protea
National Animal: Springbok
National Bird: Blue Crane
And to end off we have the BIG 7 of South Africa
Southern Right Whale
Great White Shark
Until next time,